Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Salvation Army and The First Amendment

I have many friends who work for The Salvation Army.  Most of them have seen the corruption I now write about.  None of them provides input for any of the pieces I write.  My blogs are based on my first-hand knowledge of the corruption I have seen within The Salvation Army.

Nevertheless, about a dozen of my friends have informed me that The Salvation Army reminded them that they should no longer talk to me, classifying me as a reporter.  The Salvation Army has informed all of them that any employee who talks to reporters can be terminated.  I wonder how they reconcile that position with the First Amendment rights of Americans. 

What does The Salvation Army have to hide?  The answer to the last question is important.  The Salvation Army is a corrupt organization and it works hard to hide that corruption from the donating public.  Public image is very important to non-profit and religious organizations that ask you for donations.

The Salvation Army is a non-profit, religious organization and it depends on billions of dollars in donations each year to pay for lavish offices and lifestyles for its officers. Last year The Salvation Army reported around $2.8 billion in donations from you and others like you.  If you do not give, The Salvation Army will not survive.  So, hiding the truth about corruption is important to The Salvation Army.

The Salvation Army believes in the organization's First Amendment right to free speech.  Those who work for the organization have the same right to free speech.  Threats of termination for employees who exercise their rights to free speech should be met with legal action.  Can anyone say "class action suit".

No comments: